Based on the experience of RWSSP-I and II, the Fund Board under the RWSSIP has designed a New Scheme Cycle and its duration span is not more than 24 months depending on geographical location, technology and type of community. Same length of the scheme cycle may not be suitable with the varying degrees of awareness, empowerment and organization among different communities in the country. Hence, activities within each phase may vary with the situation (scheme size, community’s capacity to organize) in a given community, and the contracts are awarded accordingly.
Pre Development Phase (3-6 months)
- SO identification and selection.
- Schemes prioritized through D-WASH-CC and followed by community demand placement.
- Orientation/Training to SO on proposal preparation.
- Orientation /training to SA on project /site appraisal.
- Development phase contract with SO for technical and operational support to community.
Development Phase (6-8 months)
- Project orientation to SO staff.
- Social mobilization, establishment of legal institution (WSUG/C) and coordination with local government.
- Preparation of CAPs and implementation of selected CAPs activities.
- Detail study, survey and scheme design & cost estimation.
- Community contribution and O&M fund collection.
- Partial fund transfer to the VDCs for ODF campaigning and initiate the campaign.
- Proposal preparation and tripartite agreement among the Board, Community and SO for implementation phase.
Implementation Phase (10-12 months)
- Execution of CAPs, particularly related to construction of different schemes structures.
- Continuity of construction of household and institutional toilet with urinals.
- O&M system establishment.
- Utilize women’s saved time from fetching water in productive uses . Initiate Jeevika Karyakarm.
- Continue ODF campaigning & final payment to VDCs for the campaign.
- Preparation of action plans for transparency and sustainability of scheme (Jagaran Karyakram).
- Proposal and contract agreement preparation for post implementation phase.
Post Implementation Phase (24 months)
- Periodic follow up on sustainability aspects: technical, social, and community management including O&M.
- Monitoring visit and technical support by SO to scheme/community.
- Community water quality monitoring through proxy indicators.
- Post ODF/Total Sanitation activities.
- Reporting to local government and the Fund Board.